dinsdag 3 februari 2009

Alyssa Pheobus




Alyssa Pheobus: I almost always start with a text that has an erotic charge. I’m especially attracted to texts whose sexual politics circulate around fantasies of power, aggression and masculinity. I find material in song lyrics and poetry as well as more casual sources, like conversations. Some texts immediately suggest images that I plan and execute quickly, while others suggest a format but no clear image-destination. These works grow slowly and intuitively. Regardless of the form a drawing takes, my process more or less performs the motions of the various textile practices that inform my imagery. For example, large paper supports are cobbled together from whatever paper I have available, and small, stenciled, stitch-like letter fragments accumulate into patterns and forms.
source:
interview sprayblog.

bellwethergallery

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 License.