maandag 7 december 2009

Mark D




My naïve style is inspired by the St Ives school of artists such as Alfred Wallace and Bryan Pearce. My first series of paintings “artists in art” focused on other artists. I have become interested in the way artists are as keen to project "themselves" as their artwork - most notably Tracey Emin and Gilbert and George. This prompted me to start a series of paintings putting the artist where they want to be - as the subject. I painted a work satirising Tate Chairman, Paul Myners - he visited the A Gallery in Wimbledon, where it was on display and asked how much it was, but didn't buy it. I moved from paintings artists to painting celebrities, partly motivated by an inclination to satirise Stella Vine's treatment of them.
source:
Mark D

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 License.