maandag 18 oktober 2010

Julie Rrap




Laura Castagnini: You worked and lived through the Feminist movement of the 1970’s. How has this experience impacted upon your work?

Julie Rrap: Well firstly I wobvuldn’t say I was part of the Feminist movement in the 1970’s, my thoughts on the subject were something I came to quite independently. When I was at University, which was the late 1960s, early 1970s, I first started thinking about the ideas of ‘feminism’ which stemmed from reading Simone de Beauvoir’s “The Second Sex”, which is in a very philosophical framework and about the ideas of the ‘other’. She wrote about the ‘other’ in terms of the position of women in our society. It was profound to me. It made a big impact on me because it made me think about something I knew was occuring but couldn’t put to words. So feminism was something I was drawn to in a philosophical way. I read a lot of feminist material but I like to think of it as something that is absorbed through the pores of the skin rather than something I directly illustrated in my work.
source: Julie Rrap: an interview with Laura Castagnini

arcone


[PDF] the Julie Rrap: Body - Education Kit

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 License.